Applications are closed for the 2014 year.
For best viewing of this webpage please use Google Chrome or Firefox browsers.
In anticipation of the enormous technical challenges of the BRAIN (Brain Activity Map) initiative announced by President Obama in April of 2013, SUNY and the Research Foundation for SUNY have created the Brain Summer Scholars Program. The program will give talented SUNY undergraduates a summer research experience in a neuroscience laboratory during the summer of 2014. The goal is to attract undergraduates with aptitude in physics, computation, engineering and mathematics to the rapidly expanding field of neuroscience.
- Ten week program (approximately end of May through beginning of August 2014)
- Opportunities for summer research available at various SUNY campuses
- Students are placed in research (click here-->) laboratories in which they will perform research supporting SUNY Brain faculty located at the Universities at Albany, Wadsworth Center, University at Buffalo, the Upstate Medical University, Binghamton University, and Stony Brook University.
- Applicants must be presently enrolled in a SUNY institution and have completed 4 semesters of college. (A background in neuroscience or life sciences is not required. This program is designed for students who are considering a career in research. Preference will be given to applicants in their Junior year at the time of application)
- Stipend: $3,500
- Housing allowance available
- (PDF click here-->) Fillable application form
- (Word click here-->) Fillable application form
- A brief personal statement in which the student discusses the reasons he/she wishes to participate in the program
- An copy of the student’s undergraduate transcripts
- A confidential letter of recommendation from a professor or other professional (sent directly from the recommender) that discusses the student’s potential for a research career
- Underrepresented minority students are encouraged to apply
- Completed applications and supporting documents must be submitted by March 21, 2014
- Applicants will be notified of the status of their acceptance by April 4, 2014
For further information, please contact:
|Dr. Eric Olson, Program Director, Brain Summer Scholar Program
|Associate Professor, Neuroscience and Physiology
|SUNY Upstate Medical University
|Syracuse, NY, 13210 (315) 464-7776